Karl's Corner - 03/16/2002
03/16/02 Toro Toro Toro
...March 2002 Europe Tour Show #5: Plaza del Toros de Illumbre; San Sebastian, Spain
#3 of 3 festival style shows here in Spain with Lombardi, Dover, and The Cranberries, this one in the very cool looking town of San Sebastian, near the northern coast of Spain. Todays venue, the Plaza del Toros de Illumbre, is a bullfighting ring, make no mistake about it, right down to the dusty earth in the ring, where the fans stand. Freaky trophied bull's heads contrasted sharply with a set of childrens amusement rides in the lower lobby.
Tonights show was a bit of a comedy of errors for the weez, though nothing drastic. First a missed guitar switch had a cacophanous "Superstar" going with 2 different guitar tunings clashing. They started over with the proper guitar, Rivers announcing "ok now THIS song is called Superstar". Later, during a tradition-busting live rendition of a cover song, the Turtles' "Happy Together", a few cues were missed and the structure of the song was sort of re-tooled in mid performance. Chalk that up to the guys not quite having a perfect handle on the song yet. (I still thought it sounded rad!) Then finally there was some confusion late in the set, as the setlist was accidentally printed with the wrong closing track (They really finished with "Hash Pipe", not "Buddy Holly"). To top it off even I ran into some glitches, with my main videocamera running out of tape halfway through the set and me forgetting to swap the tape for a fresh one. Good Greif! Well, you can't win 'em all! As Pat Wilson later said, "the show was ass-like". Anyway the crowd (well the part of the crowd who seemed to know who weezer were, anyway) were stoked, and thats what counts.
It was a cool little set of big shows in Spain, and thanks go out to Lombardi, Dover and The Cranberries, all of whom rocked the place down to the ground all 3 nights. It was an honor and a pleasure.
- WAVE 106.9, Savannah GA: playing Dope Nose
- Live 105 San Fran: 'Dope Nose' rose to #2 on the Most Wanted List on 3/15
- 770 am Radio K Minneapolis: playing dope nose
- Y100 Philly: Dope Nose back up to #1 on the top 7 at 8 countdown! 5th time at #1.
- 95.5 WBRU: "dope nose" is number 7 on 12 cuts
- KWOD 106.5 sacramento: Dope Nose "...has been number one for a very long time on 's Really Big Countdown"
- X96.3 Salt Lake City: has added Dope Nose
- 103.9 the edge, Arizona: has played dope nose,
- WPGU, Champaign Illinois: Dope Nose is in the "March Madness" request competition. In round one, Weezer beat Unwritten Law, and is now in competition with Fuel, Radiohead, Puddle of Mudd, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage Against the Machine, Sum 41, and Creed. Vote for Dope Nose online: www.wpgu.com. Also, Weezer has won the Big Friday Orgy for 4 weeks straight.
- 88.3 the sting Cleveland: added dope nose, its the "new music stinger".
- 89.7 The River, Nebraska: started playing dope nose
- 106.1 Krab radio, Bakersfield CA: "Dope Nose" still on top in the weekly New Rock Rumble
- WCWP 88.1 FM, CW Post, Long Island University, NY: Played Dope Nose 3/16 on the "Joe Show."
- 92.1 KFMA, Tucson's New Rock: has been playing Dope Nose "..quite a lot."
- CFXY-FM 'The Fox', Fredericton, NB, Canada: playing Dope Nose
...New Guitar World magazine: Weezer cover story!!! Includes Rivers interview. Look for a bearded Rivers on the cover...