Oasis is a British rock band that came to prominence in the mid-90s. A seeming overnight success, the band eventually lost favor with the record buying public at large, partially due to a lengthy hiatus.
- Rivers Cuomo had dissected many Oasis songs as a part of his Encyclopedia of Pop.
- The original incarnation of Goat Punishment played their second show in November 1998 with a set consisting entirely of Oasis songs.
- During the Troublemaker Tour in 2008 Weezer performed a cover version of the Oasis song "Morning Glory" with lead vocals by Patrick Wilson.
- In early 2009, Weezer was rumored to be going on tour with Oasis later in the year.
- Liam Gallagher commended Weezer, saying, "Yeah, we met [Weezer]. I like 'em. They're one of those bands you see on TV and go, 'I just like 'em.' I think they're pretty alright." He characterized Rivers Cuomo as a "very strange man," but added, "He's my new favourite rock star. He freaked me out. He's just the total opposite to me, man. He's just very timid. He's like Yoda or something. But I respect that. He's a top man. There's totally a place for him. He's like the Andy Warhol of fucking music, that's what I think."