Karl's Corner - 07/15/2002
Enlightenment Tour Day 10: Cleveland, OH; Blossom Music Center
Main Stage: Sparta, Dashboard Confessional, Weezer (Strokes cancelled due to injury)
Second Stage: Loudermilk, Home Town Hero, Am Radio
"Weezer World Cup" Foosball Challenge #2: Cleveland- WXTM
Foosball Challenge #2! Today before the show there was another fan vs. weez foosball challenge. In many cities on the Enlightenment Tour, the local radio station will be choosing winning fans who get to come backstage before the show and challenge the band to a mini-foosball tournament! [your local radio station should be talking about the contest, if theyre not, then its not likely to be happening in your area]. There are usually 6 winners per show, and they divide up into 3 teams who face off vs weezer for one game each.
Todays match results:
Round 1: Team Weezer (Cuomo/Shriner) V. The Psychos (Heather Deskins and Taryn Householder) : Winner: Team Weezer. Score: 10-1.
Round 2: Team Weezer (Cuomo/Shriner) V. The Weezer Squeezers (Mark Skrovan and Christine Terrace) : Winner: Team Weezer. Score: 10-3.
Round 3: Team Weezer (Cuomo/Shriner) V. Team Brockton (Tim Gauntner and Steve Large) : Winner: Team Weezer. Score: 10-1.
Well, the challengers had another rough day, with The Weezer Squeezers getting in some handsome volleys at times. But again, all had fun and were stoked to meet the guys. Then we all moved back into concert mode, at a place that was designed to house the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra. The dynamite acousticly designed architecture was challenged by the crushing decibels of the weez sound system, and a bit of temporary tech issues made it a little hard to hear clearly in the very front for the first few songs, but it all got sorted out and the rock reigned supreme as it should! Some fans reported the best setlist ever, others still wanted a bit more aggro in the song mix. Most people seemed to agree to disagree and went away smiling.
...the first batch of Cleveland fans' show reports that came in via email...
- "...we just got back from the blossom music center in cuyahoga falls, OHIO. it was an excellent show- 'getchoo' was particuarly awesome. it was quite amusing when pat laid down during the intermission before the encore!! too bad rivers didn't know he was in cleveland, and NOT seattle!! anyway awesome show!" ---billy & becky
- "...best WEEZER show i've seen. period." ---steve m. cleveland, ohio
- "...sweet lordy, what a show! today as i was going through my pre-show routine of listening to every album, i kept thinking, how cool would it be to hear this song tonite, or this, or that one....and they played them all! every single one that i wanted to hear! getchoo, falling for you, knock-down drag-out, holiday, the good life, keep fishin', buddy holly, a bit of a haunting twist to island in the sun, and then the pyro was incredible as well! Pat was awesome! he looked like he was having such a grand time, especially when hoisted into the air on that wonderful W! listening to the entire crowd singing along to el scorcho was so cool. i had a great time tonite. thank you so much to an "on-fire" weezer and the electric crowd!" ---caralyn
- "...hey, i just got back from seeing weezer at blossom, in "cleveland". it was super rad. i was afraid it wasn't going to be cool, because my friends didn't buy tickets, so it was just my sister and myself. Then I found out that the strokes cancelled. So we finally got there and I loved sparta. Then dashboard came out and didn't depress me, so it was cool. I saw some people I knew, too. And finally, the lights dimmed, and out came my heros ...WEEZER!!!! It was freaking awsome! They played everything I wanted to hear, including el scorcho and a ton of pinkerton. yay! They fully rocked my socks off, even if they didn't seem to know where they were ("whats up seattle, or detroit, or wherever we are") Rivers seemed so into it and they all were just rocking out. Plus they were really funny inbetween songs, it was great. I must say that this was the best weezer concert i've been to, out of 3, and it was fully the best overall concert i've ever been to in my whole 17 years and 11 months on earth. so i just want to say thanks to the =w= for making my night, no, my decade, hell they made my life! thanks! keep rockin" ---=w= laura
- "...Hey Karl love the site as usual. So to the review of the show... We were all a little disappointed when we heard the Strokes canceled. But the show must go on and we were all her to see Weezer anyway right? Loudermilk started the show. Put an a good 20 minute set and rocked pretty well. The came Sparta who were good. Then came the best of the opener Home Town Hero. They showed cleveland how to put on a show. They were definitely a band ready to make it to the big time. Dashboard was next putting on their unique style of emo/rock. The the lights went down and it was time for the MAIN EVENT!!! Weezer blew me away. They brought geek rock to a whole new level in cleveland. The showmanship of the 4 guys was amazing. They played songs from all albums, rocked harder and harder then ever before in Cleveland. Opened with Say it aint so then finished with Pink Triangle. It was great to hear more Pinkerton songs live than usual also. The pyro was great and the guys brought out their A game. Can't wait to see them back in Cleveland!!!" ---Pat =w=
- "...Where do I start? My favorite band playing an amazing setlist in an outdoor ampitheater on a perfect summer night - AMAZING. To open up with arguably my favorite song, Say it Ain't So, was definitely a treat. I'm gonna keep this short, but the night was pure adrenaline, the whole crowd belting out every word to every song. Never have I seen an audience so focused on the music being played. 6 Pinkerton songs! What a way to please a die-hard crowd. With no regrets, weezer has now spoiled me for all other concerts (except future =w= concerts)." ---Brian
- "...The show in Cleveland tonight was "Rokken like Dokken". This is my third Weezer show in the last three tours and they still find ways to blow me away. I was delightfully suprised with "Falling For You" and "Holiday" making the setlist for my first time. The Weez seemed to be having more fun they I have ever seen and the crowd fed off of it. I was impressed with the pyrotechnics and Pat getting raised up with the W under him. All of the other bands played solid sets too but Weezer was the main show. I was a very disappointed about The Strokes injury but i suppose those are the breaks. I can't wait for the next album and tour and so keep on with the Rock." ---Travis
- "...Me and my good friend had most excellent seats too see weezer and the show was great. The best concert I have ever been too. The pyro was excellent. It was funny, because i didnt see the big =w= anywhere and i was all bummed out. Then out of nowhere Pat is lifted into there air and the flying =w= was right beneath him. Weezer gave it there all tonight and so did the crowd. There were lots and lots of people.I didn't know there were so many fans in Ohio. I had brought a camera with me and I was taking snapshots of the band. The securtiy guys were getting angry because they didnt know who was taking the pictures. Unfortunatly, alot of fans got there cameras taken away, but never fear, i saw Karl taking his camera out, so no one missed anything. Speaking of Karl, It seemed I was the only one who knew who he was. I got to go up and shake his hand!! When i went back up to the lawn area, all my friends shook my hand to get Karl's essence from me. That would've been a great pic, but I was happy with the shots i got. I even got to pose with the lead singer of AM Radio. It was a most excellent night and i hope weezer comes again soon. Thanks guys." ---Rick Del Vecchio