My Best Friend
|"My Best Friend"|
|Album track by Weezer|
|Released||May 10, 2005|
|Rivers Cuomo song chronology|
|Make Believe track listing|
"My Best Friend" is the ninth track from Make Believe.
- Make Believe (2005)
Source is www.LastFM.com unless otherwise stated
"My Best Friend" was a song that Rivers Cuomo had written for Make Believe, but was on the back burner for some time. When the band was asked to submit a track to the soundtack to the film Shrek 2, he offerred up this song. His logic was that the song, written about a big, funny, ogre-like friend of his, was perfect for the film. Ironically, the producers asked for a song that wasn't so obvious. So he rewrote the lyrics, and the band reworked the song a bit, and re-submitted it. In the end, the song was not used by the producers.
- Scott: That’s a wild…that’s one song that’s, like, kind of, like a wild card on the record, I gotta say. Cuz…that was…yeah, that’s a wild track. And we left it -
- Pat: No one thought about that song for the longest time, the next thing I know, ‘we’re doing that song!’
- Scott: Yeah, and when we kind of went back and tightened everything up, it was one of the songs that I think I left all of the bass from when we tracked it. That’s just nuts.
- Pat: It’s on fire. That song sounds like it’s on fire to me.
- Rivers: I’m trying to think of something interesting…
- Pat: That it didn’t go with Shrek?
- Rivers: It’s such a complicated story, I don’t know if it’s that interesting.
- Scott: I’m glad that it didn’t, I can say that much.
- Rivers: Yeah, that song has some weird karma with Shrek. I remember I originally wrote it about some guy I met, and then [the producers of the sequel to the film] Shrek asked us if we had a song, and then I thought, ‘oh yeah, I remember that song, let me think about showing it to them’, and they actually thought it sounded too much like it was written for Shrek. ‘Cuz this guy was kind of ogre-ish, and he made me laugh…
- Brian: And you changed the lyrics for them, right?
- Rivers: So I had to change the lyrics so it sounded less Shrek-like
- Pat: Shrek-y?
- Rivers: Shrek-ish!
- Pat: Shrek-ish? Puck-ish?
- Scott: It will live on longer than Shrek 2 will.
- Rivers: I don’t know if it’s that interesting.
- Brian: But it was also…I think at the moment when the Shrek people wanted it, it wasn’t complete either. And that would have been the version that would have been the first Weezer song people heard in 3 years, and it wasn’t actually finished to the best it could have been, so it’s a blessing that we got to work on it a little longer.
- Rivers: Yeah, I feel the same way. It got so much better. I resang it, put the organ on it, it sounds way better. We put the drum sounds on it…
- Rivers Cuomo – lead guitar, lead vocals
- Patrick Wilson – percussion
- Brian Bell – rhythm guitar, synth, backing vocals
- Scott Shriner – bass guitar, vocals
- Rick Rubin - producer
When everything is wrong I'll come talk to you
You make things alright when I'm feeling blue
You are such a blessing and I wont be messing
With the one thing that brings light to all of my darkness
You're my best friend
and I love you, and I love you
Yes I do
There is no other one who can take your place
I feel happy inside when I see your face
I hope you believe me
Cause I speak sincerely
and I mean it when I tell you that I need you
I'm here right beside you
I will never leave you
and I feel the pain you feel when you start crying
Yes I do