Karl's Corner - 05/20/2002
...The Pat report: "It was a balmy evening as we waited outside the stage door entrance in a partially enclosed staging area atop the Parco mall. We entered and proceeded to throw down giant slabs of Kobe beef-like rock. I then would occasionally pick up said slabs and gently clean them, and would then re-throw down. Repeat, rinse, repeat..." Pat's personal Japan show ratings: Sendai: 6.5, Tokyo Zepp: 10, Fukuoka 5, Hiroshima, 9*
*Pat: "due to Shrine-dog's tech problems, I'll take away a personal happy point in sympathy."
note: tonights show saw the first performance of "O Girlfriend"
......the first 5 Hiroshima fans' stories...
- "...I had been talking about this for months, trying to get as many people as I could to make the trip from Iwakuni to see the Best Band in Rock. I saw them last year as well when they stopped in Hiroshima. However, this show was so much better! They came out ready to impress and impress they did. The venue was perfect- small, intimate and totally packed. From the opening notes I knew we were in for another "different" set. The highlight for me was when they played "My Name is Jonas" and "Simple Pages." The sound was wonderful and I was glad to hear that Rivers has learned a little Japanese on this trip. I'll be sure to catch them whenever I can! By the way, we were the four Americans going crazy- sorry if it threw anybody off. It isn't everyday when we can see some good old American rock n' roll in Japan! I can't say enough how great this show was. Thanks!" ---Lawrence
- "...I went to the Weezer show in Hiroshima last night. It was a blast! They played at Club Quatro, which just opened in Hiroshima. It`s a pretty small place. It probably holds about 1200 people, and it has no seats, all of which makes for some great shows. Last night`s show was 100 times better than their show in Hiroshima last year. Rivers was very talkative last night. Most of what he said was pretty silly, and I don`t think many of the Japanese fans understood. My favorite line was `It`s time to pay the pied-piper, the one who pipes.` He also talked about Osaka a lot. I guess something good happened in Osaka. They played a good mix of songs from all the albums. `Hashpipe` and `The Good Life` seemed to be the crowd favorites. They also played `Yellow Camaro,` but I don`t think many people knew what it was. Rivers messed up on the lyrics to `No Other One.` And I think maybe they made some other mistakes. After the show I finally had a chance to talk to Rivers. But I was so nervous I couldn`t talk. I just sort of mumbled some nonsense. Ahh! I probably made a complete ass out of myself!" ---Tim
- "...I went to see the show in Hiroshima. The place was very small, so I could see them very closed. I was surprised when they began to sing "oh girlfriend" the first. Especially I was moved by my name is jonas and simple page. And I am happy to hear the song "no other one". But I wanted to hear Dope Nose. On the way of show, Rivers said "after the show -weezer don-". I knew this party, so I was happy. I enjoyed very wonderful time with all weezer funs and weezer!! Thank you very much!!" ---matsuoka
- "...I have just came back to my town from hiroshima, i went there just to see the Weezershow. The weezer show in hiroshima was worth more than it. I am one of those people who didn't understand what Rivers said. Did he say "if I say 'go,' you say ....", like that? I'm not sure, but nobody said anything. I hope that I can understand what he says next time. Rivers repeated "thanks Osaka" in Japanese. Many people, including me, thought Rivers mistook Hiroshima for Osaka. I was just in front of Scot. It was first time for me to see them at such close range, so i miss them more than when I went to their show last year. I'm afraid that I can see them like that. Please go back to the Club Quatro in Hiroshima!! and I hope they will play "across the sea" which I think many of Japanese fans, especially girls, will be excited to hear." ---Yuko.K
- "...i went to hiroshima from osaka yesterday to join weezer show at club Quatro. anyway it was really great show last night!! still now i'm feeling very exciting!!!! and feel like i am in dream as i could join their show at such a pretty small place!! and also it was so cool as they played 'in the garage''my name is jonas' and so on nice choice from all their songs. anyway i am going to go to your show at zepp in Osaka tomorrow and after tomorrow also!!so i've really expected that weezer will give me some more great show in Osaka!!!!! at last thanks for great show in Hiroshima!!" ---kyoko.t