Riverpedia archive - 10/28/2021
- Back to: Riverpedia
Join the Rivers Cuomo server here
In September of 2022, the neighborhood packed up and migrated to Discord, where our community lives on. To link your riverscuomo.com account to Discord, first log into your account at riverscuomo.com. Click on your profile. Enter the 4 digits at the end of your discord name. Your account should be connected within an hour. You won't see any changes, though, until you post a message on discord. Try using the oubliette channel. That's when the script runs. [Note: your rc.com username must be contained within your discord username. NOT case-sensitive. For example, 'Olivia' on my website is contained within the discord username 'Olivia Japes#6669' so the accounts connect.]
Discord conversations happen in channels. At first, this can be confusing to neighbors who our used to the single channel chat from riverscuomo.com. Channels are found separated by categories to ensure maximum cleanliness and organization.
Some channels are restricted to certain roles. Information on roles can be found here.
Town Hall: This is where I make announcements and lay out the rules of life. Only the mayor can post in the Town Hall.
• rules-of-life: Please read the rules of the Rivers Cuomo discord before posting. There's some very important information covered in this section, including hints for navigating the discord.
• mayor: This is the channel in which I make my pronouncements. I try to update everyone on changes to the website and the Discord here.
Rivers' House: This is a category for special help in regards to delegation and future projects. This category is available for serious members of the Neighborhood.
Headquarters: This category is for users with the roles of Camp Counselors, Librarians or Curators/Archivists. Here they can discuss projects relevant to those roles.
Town Square: This category is the evolution of Mr. Rivers' Neighborhood. Here is where the main discussion happens between neighbors.
• gallery: A channel for arttists to post their work -- and for the rest of us to discuss and appreciate.
• podium: Our neighborhood writers and poets can receive and react to writing prompts delivered by one of my assistants. Ask a Camp Counselor to join.
• dan: A channel for Dans and the Dan-minded.
• aunt-vangie: this channel doesn't exist. Delinquents only on this side of the tracks.
• pink-triangle: LGBT+ safe space and discussion. DM user Olivia if you'd like to be added. Check pinned messages in the channel for more information.
• riverchat: for neighbors (people who have moved in for good, own property in the neighborhood, work here, or spend most of their time here).
• ask-rivers: One of my assistants has been studying decades of my interactions. Here you can ask me questions and my assistant will answer for me.
Home Stay: This category is for users who share a common non-english tongue. Pop in and perfect your conjugation.
Outskirts: Sometimes we have visitors to the neighborhood, as well as those looking to move but not ready to make the commitment. This is the category for them.
• wilson-high: For homies and up.
• the-shack: For roadies and up.
• oubliette: This channel is for everybody, including new visitors and my assistant.
• q-and-a-with-rivers: This channel is to answer the questions of new visitors to the neighborhood.
In addition to these text channels, there are also a number of voice channels for gaming, entertainment, and generally conversation. Sometimes I pop in and practice piano on my own voice channel.
As previously mentioned, moving to Discord involves linking your accounts. You might find the trouble adjusting to the new altitude, but user GeeWiz has some tips that may help make the relocation easier, and help you settle in more quickly.
• Know Your Property Lines: Find which channels suit you best, and mute others. Being active in every channel could become a full time job.
• Keep the Noise Down: Taylor notifications to only channels you frequent. This is where muting comes in handy. GeeWiz only has notifications in the Headquarters and River's House. He occasionally turns them on for riverchat and dan, but only when he's able to multi task.
• Observe Applicable Curfews: Accept that the conversation goes on without you. It is often not doable to "catch up." Accept the impermanence of all things and jump into a new conversation.
• Keep Up Your Curb Appeal: Stay clam and dress your best.
GeeWiz is also available for help, just ping him in a channel and he will try to assist.
( Last edited by TragicGurl at 2021-10-28T08:56:06Z)
My assistant from 2001 to 2018.
She emailed weezer.com in 2001 offering to send her resume.
( Last edited by Rivers at 2021-10-28T18:20:33Z)
A planned series of four albums (8 songs apiece, totaling 32 songs), set for release on the first day of each season of 2022.
July 9, 2021 - Interesting convo with JD. SZNS may not come out as I originally envisioned but cool nonetheless.
August 25, 2021 - JD heard all of SZNS. He said his fav was Fall, which surprised him, he thought it would be his least fav. I was surprised too, but now that I look at it again, it is pretty immediately likeable. It's more uptempo. His fav track off of it is What Happens After You. I also just shipped off my SZNS PowerPoint to everyone.
I think it's going to be five songers digitally at first. Vinyl will have all eight songs each.
Records is the single. I believe I said that before but maybe not. Think of it as the “All My Favorite Songs” of SZNS. It will come out the same day that Spring is released.
You guys are going to have hundreds of demos for each song on SZNS. Documenting each step of the writing process. I've learned so much writing this album.
There are hardly any co-writes on SZNS.
Each album will feature a specific emotion and musical genre, and musical themes from Vivaldi's 'Le quattro stagioni' will appear throughout.
SZNS starts out fully Pagan-Narnia in Spring, and ends up crushingly Christian in Winter (increasingly Old and New Testament into Fall and Winter).
Wow the Dead Sea Scrolls are pretty cool, I came across it while doing research for Angels on Vacation. It's on Spring. Gabriel and Michael take a vacay from heaven, come down to earth, Disney World etc. Halos off, baby.
I'm reading it [Ulysses] over and over until I'm done with seasons. Ulysses is one of the most influential works of art of the 20th Century. But I'm not mining it for specific quotes. More for techniques of composition and just general inspiration. It's pretty mind opening. He did things no one ever thought to do in literature before. Also I'm inspired by how he wanted to make an extremely difficult work of art (I mean difficult to understand).
Ethan says he wants to make Spring feel like optimistic sorrow. That's a bit of a shift from my original thesis happy chill.
• Spring (March 20, 2022): Happy Chill; acoustic & breezy; inspired by Island In The Sun.
• Summer (June 20, 2022): Youthful Indignation; crunchy beach boys; will be perceived as more "Classic Weezer.”
• Fall (Sept 22, 2022): Anxiety, Fear; dance-rock; inspired by Franz Ferdinand’s Take Me Out and the Strokes.
• Winter (Dec 21, 2022): Sadness, grief over loss; sad-acoustic 90's singer/songwriter Elliott Smith.
Each Season will have a co-producer we've never worked with before, in addition to Jake (big picture) and Suzy (vocals). Ethan Gruska is the Spring co-pro.
SZNS will be the opposite of quarantine recording, as we plan to record with all musicians playing together in the same room with Jake’s version of The Wrecking Crew. We’ll also be working with Rob Mathes (LA Phil conductor we worked with on OKH) and his friends. The recording session will be in September after the Hella Mega tour.
My first deadline for SZNS is Friday, May 28, 2021.
Pre-production for Spring starts on October 25th. It's the first time we've done pre-production since Make Believe, but I believe all albums need it. I think Jake's gonna work us a lot harder this time.
September 21, 2021 - the SZNS era begins. Had a meeting with Ethan and Jake today. We *might end up back at Sound City (of Pinkerton fame. And Nevermind fame...he.) Jake's talking about recording straight to tape...8 track tape.
October 22, 2021 - Good call with Jake. We're recording SZNS to 24-track with no click or grid. Even vocals will be done to tape. This profoundly changes how we record. Instead infinite tracks, infinite options to sift through, we'll have 24 (half of which will be drum tracks.) Any cut and paste will have to be done with a razor blade.
October 28, 2021 - We tracked drums for 8 of 9 possible Spring songs. At the last second, OPENING NIGHT was selected in favor of GOOD MORNING, which was voted off the island. ( GOOD MORNING has been almost making =w= records since at least Hurley ).
I renamed the song LOS ANGELES to THE GARDEN OF EDEN. I recorded acoustic guitars and vocals for it today.
There’s a song on SZNS about the pilot of the Goodyear Blimp, although the specific season remains unspecified.
The opening song of SZNS is a tribute to Shakespeare, called Opening Night.
Maybe Fall is written from the perspective of an anxious android.
The verse from Hello, Concubine is currently being used as the verse for Basketball. Here's the Coach lyric from Basketball :
"Under the bleachers
Hiding for an hour
Coach is looking for me
Cuz his job is to empower"
I’m happy that I worked the word 'triclinium' into Summer’s Cuomoville.
I’ve also mentioned possible lyrics for The Opposite Of Me (also on Summer). “Somebody's so relatable you feel as if they're your best friend. And when they begin to make a speech you wish that it would never end.”
MNF is the last song on Summer which is weird but technically football starts in Summer.
Across the Meadow is Ethan's favorite song on Spring, which surprised me. It's the most sweet, gentle song on Spring. I was wrong, Ethan's favorite is Wild at Heart.
with RECORDS being added summer, we moved ALL THIS LOVE from summer to spring. So one of the other spring songs will surely get bumped. ALL THIS LOVE is jake's fav. It's a beautiful, effortless =w= song.
Other songs in contention for SZNS:
Angels on Vacation
Get Off on the Pain
Across the Meadow
Wild at Heart
All this Love
Don't Give Up
The Opposite Of Me
Monday Night Football
What Happens After You
I Want a Dog
Tastes Like Pain
( Last edited by TragicGurl at 2021-10-28T22:51:42Z)
- Back to: Riverpedia