| About me
|| I am a Weezerpedia admin.
|| I live in Upland, CA.
|| I am an Albumsix boardie.
|| I'm a collector.
|| I`ve been to 19 Weezer concert(s).
|| Goddamn you half-japanese girls!
|| My favorite band member is Rivers.
|| I think Rivers is an enigma wrapped in a riddle wrapped in secret sauce
|| My favorite Rivers quote is: "I dig Brian May."
|| I DON'T CARE
|| I Check Karl's Corner ALMOST Every Single Damn Day
|| Century Gothic is the best font.
|| My other favorite artists include: see below
|| My favorite album is Lovedrive by the Scorpions.
|| My favorite song is Shooting Star by Bad Company.
|| My favorite book is 1984 by George Orwell
|| I know every line in Ghost Busters by heart.
|| "I don't give shitty jobs."|
— David Brent
About me and my goals for Weezerpedia
Hi, my name is Austin, and I'm a long-time, hardcore weezer fan. I'm a little (okay, a lot) older than the average fan, and I live near Los Angeles, which means I've been lucky (and crazy) enough to have been involved in the weezer community since virtually the beginning. I'm not saying I'm better than the next fan, just that I'm in a unique position to share much of the knowledge and experience I've gained through fifteen-plus years of obsessive weezer fandom.
I've been active on weezerpedia since December 2008. I've made quite a few significant contributions, and it will only continue. I look forward to dropping more mad ka-nowledge gleaned from my large collection of weezer (and related) music releases, media articles, and concert and fan club experiences.
I'm a responsible adult with kids of my own, but I still feel like a kid inside, and I love to geek out on any and all of my passions (see below). I love to chat when I'm not too busy, and I have many weezer stories to tell. Catch me at Allthingsweezer some time and pick my brain.
I have recognized Pinkerton as my lord and saviour, and I challenge the notion that Pat Is Dead.
- Full name - Austin Welch
- DOB - August 13th, 1974
- Currently resides - Upland, California
- Profession - car insurance sales (just as boring as it sounds)
- Children - twin 18 year old daughters who LOVE WEEZER!!
- Writer and occasional photographer for the site The RealmCast, covering news and reviews on movies, tv, action figures, comics, music, and all things geek. We also do a regular podcast, and I edit the final broadcast audio.
- Webmaster and primary writer of my own music blog, Flashback's Record Rack, started as an offshoot of The RealmCast. Don't bother pointing out how lame it is, I already know. But if you're curious, feel free to check out my reviews of Pinkerton Deluxe, Hurley, Death To False Metal, and Raditude..
- music (duh) - although you might be shocked to learn that weezer isn't my favorite band of all time (gasp!), that distinction belongs to Queen. I was into music LONG before weezer came around, and although I treasure them dearly, many of my favorites had already entrenched themselves. As I'm a bit older than the average fan, I come from more of the classic rock/metal/prog/shred side of things, but I have a tremendous weakness for power pop. A brief list, in semi-order of their stature with me: Queen, Scorpions, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Van Halen, weezer, Dream Theater, Paul Rodgers (Free, Bad Company, The Firm, etc.), Michael Schenker (UFO, MSG, etc.), Ash, Boston, Extreme (and all related bands), Smashing Pumpkins, Jimmy Eat World, Gary Hoey, Muse, Queensryche, Tesla, Teenage Fanclub, Matthew Sweet, Cheap Trick, Megadeth, Pink Floyd, Foo Fighters, The Cult, Rush, Sabbath/Ozzy, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and solo/side stuff by most of these artists.
- sci-fi - among other things I like, I'm completely immersed in the universes of what I call my Big 3: Star Wars, Transformers, and Robotech
- animation - Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, Robot Chicken, etc.
- comedy - George Carlin, Denis Leary, Chris Rock, Tina Fey, Kids In The Hall, Demetri Martin (sp)
- TV - SNL (all eras), The Office (both UK and US), 30 Rock, Heroes, The Clone Wars, That Metal Show, Numbers, House
- movies - Star Wars saga, Indiana Jones (although I admit they had faults, I'm a big defender of the prequels and Crystal Skull, so back off!), Back To The Future, and the bulk of the works of: Mel Brooks and cronies, Kevin Smith and View Askewniverse, Wes Anderson and cronies (Bottle Rocket, Tenenbaums, etc.), Simon Pegg and cronies (Spaced, Shaun, Fuzz), Judd Apatow and cronies, Harrison Ford, Samuel L. Jackson, Gene Wilder, Al Pacino, Morgan Freeman, Charlie Kaufman, tons more.
- baseball - Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim...Go Halos!!!!!!
My Weezer stats
- Album order: Pink, Blue, Red, Maladroit, Hurley, Believe, Death To False Metal, Green, Raditude
- Songs: El Scorcho, The World Has Turned and Left Me Here, Holiday, Only in Dreams, The Angel and the One, Dope Nose, So Low, Take Control, Pork and Beans, Private Message, Queen Of Earth, Cygnus X-1, The Greatest Man That Ever Lived, The Prettiest Girl in the Whole Wide World
- Videos: El Scorcho, Undone, Island In The Sun (wedding version)
- Members: Rivers Cuomo, Patrick Wilson
- Show: July 3/4 2000 (tie), Pomona, CA...I was so damned happy to have my band back in action!
- Fan club member late 94 thru mid 98ish (including a few written contributions and a photograph or two in Weezines) and again in 2001/2002, but it just wasn't the same.
- Have attended 19 weezer shows (including 4 as Goat Punishment) and several related band shows (see list below).
- My pic (along with a friend and Ozma's Daniel Brummel) is in the crowd shot on the cover of "The Good Life" single, taken on Pinkerton's release day September 24, 1996, at the Hollywood Tower Records (where Rivers once worked) parking lot 'in-store' (see above).
- Met 6 of the 7 total weezer members (damn that elusive Mikey!), plus Karl and Mykel and Carli, in most cases multiple times.
- Crashed the "Beverly Hills" and "Troublemaker" video shoots
- A regular at official boards 2000-2002, before leaving out of frustration with the vastly immature then-core fan base
- Allthingsweezer boardie (also under BringHomeTheTurkey)
Shows I've been lucky enough to witness
Current total: 22
- April 1995 - The Palladium, Hollywood, CA (my weezer cherry!)
- September 24th, 1996 - Tower Records parking lot 'in-store' (free = awesome!)
- September 26th, 1996 - The Whisky A-Go Go (free + guest list = double awesome!)
- November 1st, 1996 - Ventura, CA (with Superdrag!)
- December 21st, 1996 - The Palace Theater, Hollywood (with Ash!)
- August 15th, 1997 - The Palace Theater, Hollywood (Mykel and Carli Allan tribute show + last with Matt)
- July 3rd, 2000 - The Glass House, Pomona, CA (that was a LONG three year wait!) (with Phantom Planet)
- July 4th, 2000 - The Glass House, Pomona, CA (that was a LONG 24 hour wait!) (with Nerf Herder)
- December, 2000 - Spaceland, Hollywood, CA (my Goat Punishment cherry!)
- December 30, 2000 - The Knitting Factory, Hollywood, CA (Goat Punishment)
- March 16th, 2001 - The Palladium, Hollywood, CA (Yahoo! Outloud Tour)
- July, 2001 - Glen Helen, CA (KROQ Weenie Roast...short set, but it was free! I think it was Scott's first? He was inexplicably tackled on stage.)
- October 21st, 2001 - The Knitting Factory, Hollywood, CA (Goat Punishment; HBO Reverb show)
- November, 2001 - The Viper Room, Hollywood, CA (Goat Punishment w/ Special Goodness!)
- November, 2001 - Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, CA (with Jimmy Eat World!)
- August 9th, 2002 - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Irvine, CA (my kids' first show!)
- October 23rd, 2005 - Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, CA (Foozer!)
- October 14th, 2008 - The Forum, Los Angeles, CA (The hell?!? Did they just do an amazing cover of Pink Floyd's "Time"?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
- October 24th, 2009 - The Palladium, Hollywood (with a reunited Wax)
- September 21st, 2010 - Dunes Inn motel, Hollywood (the legendary Axe gig!)
- November 26th, 2010 - Memories: Blue at the Gibson Amphitheater, Los Angeles
- November 27th, 2010 - Memories: Pinkerton at the Gibson Amphitheater, Los Angeles
Related band shows I've been lucky enough to attend
- spring 1996 - The Wiltern, Los Angeles, CA (The Rentals opening for Blur)
- late 1999 - The Viper Room, Hollywood, CA (The Special Goodness/The Space Twins co-headline!)
- November 2001 - The Viper Room, Hollywood (Special Goodness opening for Goat Punishment)
- spring 2003 - The El Rey, Hollywood, CA (Space Twins opened up for Ash!)
- later in 2003 - The Troubadour, Hollywood, CA (Special Goodness/Space Twins co-headline!)
- 1994 – The Blue Album (original pressing w/ original mix of SIAS and original fan club address)
- 1994 – Undone (3:58 promo)
- 1994 - Undone (4:10 promo)
- 1994 – Undone (Austrailian card 4-track - autographed by all four then-members)
- 1994 – Buddy Holly (UK 4-track)
- 1995 – Say It Ain't So (UK 3-track w/ 'If It’s Too Loud' sticker)
- 1996 – Pinkerton (autographed by all four then-members)
- 1996 – El Scorcho (Euro card 3-track single)
- 1996 – The Good Life (OZ EP)
- 1996 – The Good Life (2-track remix promo)
- 1997 – Pink Triangle (2-track remix promo)
- 2000 – Christmas CD
- 2001 – The Green Album (original pressing with full edit of Hash Pipe)
- 2001 - Hash Pipe (UK 4-track - Pat, cigarette box)
- 2001 - Hash Pipe (UK 3-track + CD-Rom video - Rivers cardboard)
- 2001 – Hash Pipe (US promo - Pat, blurred cigarette box)
- 2001 – Hash Pipe (Jimmy Pop remix promo CD-R)
- 2001 – Island In The Sun (UK #1 3-track + CD-Rom 'wedding' video)
- 2001 – Island In The Sun (UK #2 3-track card sleeve)
- 2001 – Island In The Sun (Japan 3-track)
- 2001 – Island In The Sun (US promo blue/white cover)
- 2001 – Photograph (Japan 2-track single)
- 2001 - Photograph (US 'no applause' edit promo)
- 2002 – Maladroit
- 2002 - Maladroit (Japan edition - 2 bonus tracks)
- 2002 – Keep Fishin' (UK #1)
- 2002 – Keep Fishin’ (UK #2)
- 2002 – Keep Fishin’ (US 2-track retail single)
- 2002 – Keep Fishin’ (US 2-track promo)
- 2002 – The Lion and the Witch (live EP – autographed by all current members)
- 2004 – The Blue Album (Deluxe Edition)
- 2005 – Make Believe (original digi-pack release w/ incorrect WAAOD + original mix of PS)
- 2005 - Prime Cuts promo EP
- 2005 – Beverly Hills (UK single)
- 2005 – We Are All On Drugs (UK single)
- 2005 – This Is Such A Pity (radio version promo)
- 2008 – The Red Album (US standard 10-track)
- 2008 – The Red Album (US deluxe edition)
- 2008 – The Red Album (Japan deluxe edition w/ bonus DVD)
- 2008 – Pork and Beans (UK single)
- 2008 – Troublemaker Remixes (promo EP)
- 2008 – Six Hits (Best Buy exclusive EP – purchased for Perfect Situation remix)
- 2009 - Raditude (US deluxe)
- 2010 - ...Happy Record Store Day! EP
- 2010 - Hurley (US standard)
- 2010 - Hurley (US Deluxe edition)
- 2010 - Pinkerton: Deluxe Edition
- 2010 - Death to False Metal
- 2001 - Brisk American (Germany/Hollywood 2001)
- 2001 – Hultsfred Festival (2001)
- 2002 – Susanne 3-track CD-R
- 1995 - Say It Ain't So 10”
- 1995 – Mall Rats soundtrack (Susanne remix)
- 1996 - Pinkerton (original pressing, opened)
- 2001 - The Green Album (sealed, not sure if black or green disc)
- 2001 – Hash Pipe (UK 7”)
- 2001 – Island In The Sun (UK yellow 7”)
- 2001 – Hash Pipe (remix 12”)
- 2002 – Maladroit
- 2003 – Why Bother? (live) (Petra Haden benefit double 7”)
- 2005 – Make Believe
- 2005 – Beverly Hills (Picture disc)
- 2008 – The Red Album (US 10-track red vinyl)
- 2008 – Pork And Beans (US pre-order promo 7” red vinyl)
- 2009 - The Red Album (US deluxe 2-disc)
- 2009 - Raditude (US 10-track) (sealed)
- 2009 - (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To (US promo 7")
- 2010 - Hurley (US green vinyl) (sealed)
- 2010 - Pinkerton: Deluxe Edition (4-disc set)
- 1994 – The Blue Album
- 1996 – Pinkerton
- 2001 – Green Album (promo sampler)
- 2008 – The Red Album (I-Tunes preorder)
- 1994 – F: weezer logo/B: Rock Music + Flying =W= (maroon) (my first =W= tee; retired due to wear & tear)
- 1995 – If It’s Too Loud, Turn It Down (classic; white ringer)
- 1995 – I (heart shape) Mykel & Carli (fan club custom shirt - *purple)
- 1996 - Pinkerton cover/track listing (black) (semi-retired; only special occasions)
- 1996 – “weezer fan club…because it feels good to be in it” (fan club ‘underwear’ pic – white)
- 1997 – Hear You Me! (Mykel & Carli tribute concert August 15th, *1997 – sold through official site for months after; mine was purchased at the show!)
- 2000 – Goat Punishment (red) (only $10!!!) (semi-retired; only special occasions)
- 2001 – weezer logo hoodie (black)
- 2001 – Corporate Sellout Tour (Yahoo Outloud) (black long sleeve)
- 2001 – American Rock jersey (spoof of Judas Priest’s ‘British Steel’ LP cover)
- 2001 - Geektanic Weezmacht (feaux metal design, black)
- 2002 – “it’s not easy being weez” (Keep Fishin’ screen shot w/ Muppets)
- 2005 – Rocking The Bitches Since 1994 (brown)
- 2005 – logo + cartoon band members (red)
- 2010 - "since 1992" Hurley pre-order bundle (black)
Fan club materials
- 1994-1998 issues 1-12 of official 'zine ‘Weezine’ (#1 autographed by Mykel, Carli, and Karl)
- 1995 – exclusive viewfinder keychain
- 1995 – fan club member covers album (cassette)
- 1996 – exclusive yellow zipper pull
- 2002 – ID card
- 2002 – weezine issues
- 2002 – Fan Club baseball mini-pennant (about 8”)
- ‘Rock Music’ patch
- Shirts (see above)
- Mailings/postcards, often announcing tour dates or releases
- Letters/mailings from Mykel and/or Carli, some personal
- Letter from Karl Koch announcing M&C tragedy
Odds & Ends
- 2002 - Maladroit pocket protector
- 2004 – VCD & Blue Deluxe promo glossy cards (approx. 5x7)
- 2005 – Brian Bell guitar (autographed Target exclusive)
- Many stickers, from official promo down to bootleg/car decals
- Magazines or magazine/newspaper articles and ads (too many to list)
- Postcards, both ‘If It’s Too Loud’, and ‘Superhero’ designs
- Stubs to most of the 20 shows I’ve been to
- Large square (roughly 3’x3’) promotional poster from Pinkerton era (jacked from the wall of The Palace at the 12-21-96 show!)
- Several 12”x12” Pinkerton and Maladroit cardboard promo squares
- A few retail posters (forget what I have, they’re rolled up and buried)
- 'Pusher Fans' sign from parking lot at "Beverly Hills" video shoot
- Pay stub from "Troublemaker" video shoot (that's right, they paid us!)
- 1994 - The Blue Album (vinyl)
- 1994 - Undone (French yellow cover 7")
- 1994 - My Name Is Jonas (promo)
- 1996 - El Scorcho 'dog damn'/'bleep damn' (promo)
- 2001 - Always French promo
- 2005 - Perfect Situation (radio version promo)
(all are CD except as noted)
The Special Goodness
- 1998 – Special Goodness (aka the Bunny Record)
- 2003 – Land Air Sea (original version – cloud cover)
- 2003 – Life Goes By (3-track single)
- 2004 – Land Air Sea (remixed/re-ordered Epitaph release autographed by Pat and Atom)
- CD-R promo given out by a band member (possibly Justin Fisher?) after a (weezer?/Goat Punishment?/side project? don't recall) show
Covers and tributes